Proper dental care is important at every age, especially during the teen years when sugary sodas and junk food are frequently consumed. Fortunately, there are many treatment options suitable for teen patients. Restorative dentistry treatments can repair dental damage while restoring the smile's appearance. For personalized dental care tips for teens, we invite you to contact our Orland Park, IL dentist, Dr. Kenneth W. Coffey.
Dental Care Tips for Teens
Teens tend to have access to soft drinks, sugary coffee drinks, and junk food. Because of this, it's important for teens to take care of their oral health. Teens should practice proper dental care habits to maintain a healthy smile into adulthood. These dental care tips can help teens keep their smile healthy for years to come:
- Brush at least twice a day: The teeth should be brushed at least twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening. When brushing the teeth, teens should brush all surfaces of the teeth and along the gum line.
- Don't rush brushing: The teeth should be brushed for a full two minutes at each brushing.
- Floss daily: Flossing is one of the best ways to fight gum disease and should be done at least once a day. When flossing, teens need to be diligent and floss along each side of each tooth, sweeping the floss as far along the gum line as possible.
- Rinse with water between brushings: Rinsing the mouth with water after eating and between brushings can help teens reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- See your dentist for regular cleanings and exams: Professional dental cleanings and exams should be performed every six months to catch any oral health issues early.
- Avoid sugary, acidic foods and drinks: Acidic, sugary foods and drinks are common in teens’ diets. These types of foods and drinks can damage the teeth and should be avoided.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports: Teens that play sports, especially contact sports like hockey and football, should wear a mouth guard while playing to protect the teeth from injury.
Popular Treatments for Teens
Teens generally require orthodontic or restorative dentistry treatments. Restorative treatments can repair dental damage using aesthetically pleasing materials so teens can feel confident with the appearance of their smile. Some popular treatments include:
- Tooth-colored fillings: Tooth-colored fillings can restore the health and appearance of teeth damaged by dental cavities
- Dental crowns: Severely damaged teeth, whether broken from an injury or damaged by decay, may benefit from dental crowns. Dental crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that encase damaged teeth, restoring structure and appearance.
- Dental implants: It's not uncommon for teens to lose a tooth in a sports-related injury or accident. Dental implants offer a permanent solution to replacing missing teeth and can be paired with dental crowns for individual tooth replacement.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® offers discreet orthodontic treatment, making it highly popular among teens. Invisalign® uses a series of clear trays to gradually realign the teeth and create a beautiful smile.
Schedule a Consultation
To find out more about dental care for teens, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Coffey.